Translate

Thursday 30 May 2013

1:12 scale seedlings and plants









The fern and caladium are laser cut kits. The fern kit is by Jeanetta Kendall, which I bought from Georgie Steed of theminiaturegarden.blogspot. You have to paint it, and I messed it up by spraying it with acrylic varnish, not recommended, those leaves had to be carefully sanded! At the moment it is planted in a 1:12 scale chimney pot. The Caladium is by Bonnie Lavish, which I bought from Fine Flowers in miniature.  There would probably be enough to make two plants, but I crammed mine all into one pot.  I decided to splash out on a set of stylus tools, which are brilliant for shaping the paper, and will definitely be part of my well used tools. Being a bit stingy before, I had been using the end of a crochet hook, which doesn't work quite as well.




I should probably mention, the conservatory idea was born, when I realised I had nowhere to put this tiny trowel.  And I wanted lots and lots of paper plants. Not looking forward to the day when all this stuff will need to be dusted.



Birds eye view of the seedling tray. I bought the seedling tray from My Tiny World, and bent the edges round to give it a battered look. The trowel is by Danny Shotton.




The seedlings were made using thread and painted paper, the sweetpea seedling was the experiment, I just made it  up and called it sweetpea.  I used pva glue to stiffen the thread, before attaching the leaves using pva glue and tweezers. I used nail scissors to cut out the leaves. The chives are railway modellers "grass". The plant labels are made with wood veneer, that was sanded down.  That is the smallest writing I could manage that day. The soil is 1:12 scale soil...I don't know what it is, but I mixed it with a bit of pva glue before I put it in the pots, using a 1:12 scale spoon to spoon the mixture in and tamp the "soil".  Only realised after glueing the labels in, that I have managed to put all three, right were the join of the pot is..........and the courgette looks a bit sickly, so that will have to get another coat of paint.  The card pots are made using the smallest of the pot template that I posted in the previous post.



20 comments:

  1. They look wonderful! I love mini plants! I think it's perfectly reasonable to make an entire build around one perfect mini item. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae. And I agree with you on that, even if it does mean I have gone off course a bit, building out instead of in :D

      Delete
  2. I like mini plants and yours are wonderful and look so real.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah,
    Beautiful work. You did a great job on the kits.
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Замечательные миниатюры! Хорошая работа!
    Татьяна

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO, Sarah. is very pretty with the new picture you gave to your blog, with those two birds. Obviously, it is very exciting gardening project. is something that I hope for my dollhouse. Thank you for adding the widget template for the translator. I adopted this model very nice too with the flags. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah! Thank you for showing these wonderful little pots! I love to garden and I grow my favorites plants in pots so that I can move them around the garden. I love the idea and your execution of the tiny seedlings and you have done a wonderful job both making them and posting them for all of us to enjoy!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, and many thanks. The great thing about the seedlings is they have so few leaves, that it doesn't take too long to make them :D The only problem is they don't grow :(

      Delete
  7. très joli travail, la table de rempotage et les plantes forment un très bel ensemble !
    rosethé

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thank you so much for finding my blog. I love the stark look of your photographs and the style of your minis and know that I'm really going to enjoy following your blog. I just followed you on Pinterest too--I LOVE Pinterest! :-) xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Plushpussycat and Jennifer :)

      Delete
  9. I've just spent the best part of this morning reading through your blog. It's so nice to see wip pictures and the fact that you share your tips. Thank you for that.So many lovely pieces... I look forward to following the progress of your dollhouse.
    =0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :)